Should we play Upper House?

You may also be thinking about this...

• Paul
    05/09/2024

I took our 3rd Grade Boys independent (parent/vol run) school team to Upper House, and it was great. We had finished in top 2-3 for a couple seasons at highest level in Rec. We were intimidated by the idea of playing against clubs and Upper House, but turned out we were fine.  A couple things I'd reccommend: 1) increase to 2x/wk practice (typical as you go up); 2) find some younger (e.g. college or post-college) player to join a practice a week for new/latest drills, especially if parent coach vols haven't played in a while (or ever).  One of hardest parts was that we had several kids who loved the social aspect, but not that interested or motivated by soccer. Ultimately our team fell apart, because those who wanted more competition went to clubs. In retrospect, I wish I would have gently encourages kids who weren't motivated to move aside for other school kids who were...we might have kept the community team together longer and enjoyed the competitive play in Upper House (which is like Norcal Copper/Bronze...plenty of competition for those not gunning for College+ ball). That said, there's something really powerful about kids playing with their friends. A year later, I've had many kids coming back wishing they had their old team back.

I think independent teams actually have some advantages (now that I've experienced club w/ my son for a year). 1) More time/attention on individual player development. While clubs boast of it, I haven't seen it except for the higher level teams (Norcal Gold/Premier). 2) Friends playing together for longer - team cohesion can help a lot against new club teams where players haven't played with each other. 3) If you like the parents in your community (ours were amazing), then it's a lot more fun on the sidelines. It's about the chauffeurs too!! (parents)